Caroline Moast is the manager and sub-postmistress.
Caroline is helped by volunteer shop assistants, who each work for a couple of hours or more a week. (If you’d like to volunteer, please call in at the shop or call 231531.)
There is always a friendly welcome in the shop and it is quite a social centre during the day, as well as providing all the standard items to buy that you would expect, plus some surprising things – for example:
- Fresh bread, pasties and pies delivered daily from Endicotts, Master Baker
- Fresh fruit, vegetables, and eggs from local suppliers
- Cream, yogurts, and cheeses
- Bacon, ham, salami, and other cooked meats from the Cornish Bacon Company
- Home baked fruit pies and cakes
- A range of international foods, including pasta, rice, couscous, Italian and Indian sauces
- A selection of frozen foods
- Wines, ciders, and spirits, as well as non-alcoholic drinks
- Sweets, stationery, greeting cards, wrapping paper, maps and postcards
In addition to all the stocked goods, the shop provides “order in” services – for example, fresh fish from Hatherleigh Market (collected by one of the main volunteers on Tuesday morning) – and newspapers can be delivered to the shop for personal collection.
The Community Shop provides a vital service in the heart of Sheepwash, enabling all who use it to purchase locally without always needing to travel to Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Holsworthy, or further afield.